Free research papers, books, videos, and more.
- Caudectomy Treatment
- Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder Removal)
- Brachycephalic Obstructive Airway Surgery
- Cystotomy Surgical Procedure
- Diaphragmatic Hernia Repair
- Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus (GDV)
- Treat recessed vulva with Episioplasty
- GI Foreign Body Removal
- Mass / Tumor Removal in Pets
- Surgical procedure of cystotomy and Urethrostomy
- Liver Shunt - Constrictor Ring Application Procedure
- GDV Correction with Gastropexy Surgical Procedure
- Mastectomy surgical procedure
- Nephrectomy surgical procedure
- Partial Thyroidectomy Surgical Procedure
- Parathyroidectomy surgical procedure
- Everything You Must Know About The Perineal Hernia Surgery
- The Perineal Hernia Surgery With Diverticulum In Dogs
- A Detailed Insights Into Treatment, Complications
- Pyometra Surgery For The Female Dogs
- A Comprehensive Analysis Of Sialocele Surgical Procedure
- Urethrostomy – Prevention of a life-threatening condition
- Anal Gland Removal (Unilateral or Bilateral)
- A Reliable Treatment For Chronic Constipation
- Procedure, Prognosis, Care
- Wound Closure With Stretching Device In Animals
Prepuceplasty: A Detailed Insights Into Treatment, Complications, & More
Table of content:
- Effectiveness of the treatment
The inherited abnormalities or injury of the prepuce result in the impotence to breed and urine with discomfort. For instance, the foreskin covering the penis's tip is known as prepuce. And it can be highly discomforting because the skin is pulled and it will remain stuck behind. Moreover, the fluid can build up, and the foreskin does not return normally.
Not only that, there could be infections due to yeast or other kinds of bacterial infections. Other than that, catheterization could be a possible reason because it includes stretching the foreskin to drain the urine. Thus, correcting this issue involves pulling back the foreskin fully from the penis end.
Below we are going to discuss how prepuceplasty will be performed to correct this disorder. Read on!
Some essential considerations are vital to consider before the surgery that includes the following:
- It is required that the dog should be fasting before the surgery to prevent complications later on.
- The dog should be sedated to provide supportive care and anesthesia easily.
- The area that will undergo the surgical procedure should be shaved and cleaned.
- Next, the dog will be placed in a standard position; this is known as dorsal recumbency and surgery drapes for isolating the surgical region.
Steps Of Prepuceplasty Surgical Procedure
There are many urological reconstructing techniques for addressing the preputial abnormalities and the injuries that result in reproductive dysfunction.
- Firstly, the incisions are made, and it is essential to prosecute the preputial blood vessels.
- The preputial tissue progression is important for covering the penile revelation.
- Tumor removal is done by widening the excision of tissues surrounded by the tumor. It might include penile amputation if there is malignancy. The repairing of the remaining tissues is important. Also, the excision of tumors is crucial to preserve, and pathologist assessment is important.
- The expansion of the preputial area is done by making an excision in V-shape.
- Oral tissue grafting is important for reconstructing the damaged preputial tissue.
- The peri preputial bipedicle subdermal plexus flap is transmitted for replacing or closing the preputial tissues.
- After this reconstruction surgery, the catheter allows passing urine in the recovery phase. In addition, the tissues and incisions are stitched for closing them.
- Last but not least, the dog will be monitored in the recovery phase from anesthesia.
Efficiency of Prepuceplasty
Prepuceplasty does not include complications, and the results are highly successful. It is important for restoring urinary function. Additionally, the surgeon will perform the urinary tract surgical procedure and castration to evaluate concerns regarding the prepuceplasty injury and the reconstruction.
The pet has to remain in the hospital for a few days. This is because the veterinarian will be providing the anti-inflammatories and antibiotics after the surgery. Besides, in the duration of post-surgery, dogs should avoid activities that include running or any other physically demanding activity. For instance, the pet should be confined to stay at home for some days.
Further, the veterinarian will be removing the catheter. The sutures will be removed in 10 to 14 days. Thus, to prevent the infection around the wound, an e-collar is the best choice as per the expert's recommendation. The dog's fluid intake should be normal and monitored as well. Finally, the functioning of the urinary tract should be entirely restored.
If you find any signs of infection or blood while urinating or after urination, it should be reported immediately. The veterinarian will be recommending some instructions according to your pet's reconstructive procedure.
Cost of Preputial Reconstruction
The cost of this surgical procedure is approximately $1,500, but it can be exceeded if the procedure includes neutering or addressing the urinary tract functioning.
Few Vital Considerations
First of all, it is important to know about the complications, such as infection, complications, and bleeding for such a surgical procedure.
Secondly, cosmetic defects can occur as well. For example, the functioning of the urinary tract should be monitored. Plus, the restoration of the reproductive system is not possible.
Last but not least, it is important to know about the prevention of prepuceplasty. For instance, dogs with congenital abnormalities near the preputial region should be prevented from breeding. This problem can be transferred through genes.
On the other side, it is important to make a fence to prevent accidental mishaps with the dog. Also, ensure that dog does not fight with any other dog to secure the preputial injury.